Thursday, January 1, 2015

Elsie's Quilt

I started cutting out the pieces sometime in February after I finished Alice's quilt. I slowly started sewing the blocks together whenever I had a spare minute to work on it. It took me a good while to get them all done.


Then the quilt took a break for a while. It was summer, and somehow it is harder to work on quilts in the warm weather. My twenty finished blocks sat on a shelf taunting me for a long time...

When fall came, it was becoming more urgent that Elsie have a bigger blanket. She still had a little toddler quilt that her grandma had made on her bed, and she was rapidly growing too big for it. I was getting constant reminders from Elsie and Alan that it needed to be finished. Finally, I pulled out the squares, figured out the measurements, picked out more fabric, and got to work finishing up the top.


I knew if I tried to quilt it on my little machine it would take way longer than I wanted to spend on it. I had given myself a deadline of the end of the year, and I really wanted to get it done. I took it to my local quilt shop and rented their long arm to finish it. It took me just over three hours to quilt it, and I don't know if I can ever go back to doing it on my little machine again.


I spent about two days curled up on the couch stitching the binding on it, and then it was finally done!


I did the "Inside Hearts" pattern for the quilting, and I really liked how it turned out. Elsie was thrilled with all of the little hearts all over her quilt.



I finished it with two days to spare before my deadline! I'm just really glad it is finally done and that Elsie can sleep with it.


No comments: