Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School (ever)

Our school district has a Pre-K program where they send four year olds to school for three hours a day, four days a week. Elsie has been super excited for school to start and has been counting down the days until she could go. We went last week to an open house at the school to meet the teachers and look around, so today when I went to take Elsie to her class, as soon as we got to the hallway she started pushing me towards the door saying "Go back to the car, Mom. I know where to go and I can do it myself. I'll be just fine."
 There are so many first day of school traditions floating around (thank you, Pinterest...) that it is easy to get caught up in trying to do everything. After wading though a lot of ideas, I finally settled on two that felt right for our family and that I could realistically maintain. I liked the typical first day of school picture all dressed and ready to go, and I really liked the idea of having a giant cookie waiting for my kid when they get home. That way, no matter if it was a good day or a bad day or something in the middle, at least there is a big cookie waiting for them at the end of the day. Elsie seemed to love it and graciously shared her cookie with the rest of us.


No comments: