Saturday, September 28, 2013

Haircuts

We started out our Saturday morning by cutting everyone's hair (except mine). I cut Alan's hair first (not pictured) before moving on to the girls. They have been needing a haircut for a while, but I always put it off until the cooler weather gets here. I like to keep it long during the hot months so it is easier to pull up and off of their necks, but it is the end of September and cool weather isn't that far away. Even though it is 80 degrees today, we actually had an unscheduled Saturday morning, so it was now or never.

I get attached to the girl's hair and I have a hard time cutting it, but I've been trying to prepare myself for a while. I started with Elsie to sort of ease my way into it.





She is a pro at sitting still and letting me work by now.


That is a lot of hair that came off....


Finally, the really hard one. This is Alice's first ever haircut. I've never even trimmed it before...


It was really long, and really needed a good cut to keep it healthy.


The first cut. Yes, I did cry when it came off. It has her one little baby curl that she was born with. We stuck it in an envelope to save with her keepsakes.




Alice's hair is still pretty thin and wispy, and resulted in a lot of breakage. I have been mentally preparing myself for a while to the thought that I would give her bangs.


"I don't think you're doing this right, Mom...."



The finished product. Their hair is so much healthier and lighter, and even though I have to do a double take every time I look at them, I'm pleased with the results. Alice's look is going to take a little longer to get used to, but she is really excited about it. Alan carried her to the bathroom to look at it after I was done, and she kept touching her bangs says "Look!! Look my hair!! My hair right here, and I can see!!" Her hair was constantly falling into her face when it wasn't freshly done up, so it is pretty exciting for her to finally be able to see.




2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Alice better get used to trims, because those bangs will need frequent touchups! She looks darling with bangs, though. :)

Kathy Haynie said...

Darling girls! Sarah, you do such a good job with their haircuts. I'll bet it helped Alice to watch Elsie go first. That showed her how to sit still during the haircut.