Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sweet cherries

We went up to the Farmer's Market yesterday. The local fruit is coming into season; a few vendors had apricots, cherries, and a few of the early apples. They also had sweet corn, but that is not really a fruit. Most of the vendors had samples out, so Elsie and I tasted the cherries as we walked around.

I don't really like cherries. I like the flavor and the texture, but I hate having to eat around a pit. I'm concentrating so much on trying to not bite/swallow the pit that I miss out on most of the flavor.

Sampling the sweet cherries at the Farmer's Market made me wish I liked cherries. They were that good.


I hope I can remember these days. Hot and sweaty, walking around the capitol with throngs of people all around us, seeing and sampling the local produce, Elsie talking about everything she is seeing and munching on pretzels on Alan's back, while Alice is on my back pulling my hair every few steps and jabbering in my ear. The girls are getting older every day and I just want to soak up the now and try to remember the little details.

2 comments:

Becky said...

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Cherry-Pitter/dp/B000NQ925K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312206889&sr=8-1

We have this, and although we don't bring it out too often (cherries & olives) it's totally worth having around, esp with little guys who love cherries :)

michelle said...

I have a cherry pitter too and it is so worth it. I've bought cherries every year for the last 8 years (that is how long I've had my pitter). I just made cherry freezer jam and it is delicious. I also just freeze some for smoothies and a cherry pie.