Saturday, August 13, 2011

5K take two

Remember my first 5K? It wasn't my best run. I was sick with a bug that left me throwing up the day before and I was secretly 6 weeks pregnant with Alice. I was committed to doing it and I finished it, but I always thought that I could have done better...

Today I redeemed myself with the Mama Goose Run. It was a small 5K in my local town; there were probably no more than 80 to 100 people that ran with me. I was very intimidated walking up to the starting line. Everyone was young and spry and looked like they were current track runners in high school/college. There were a few older folks, but even they looked in way better running shape than me. I tried not to think about all of that as we started running and it felt like everyone was passing me. I just focused on my goals and put one foot in front of the other.

Before the race with Elsie wearing my new race shirt.
 Alice and Elsie had a fun time with Alan waiting for me. There was a playground that they played on until...
 ...the rain came. Luckily, I had thought to bring the umbrellas. Alan ran back to the pavilion with Alice under the big umbrella while Elsie walked back under her own umbrella. At least they stayed somewhat dry-ish. I can't say the same for me.
 I don't think I could have gotten wetter if I had jumped in a pool. It was coming down really, really hard. I have to say though, I think I would prefer running in a torrential downpour than running in blistering heat. At least it kept me nice and cool.
I set out with two goals: beat my previous time and don't come in last. I am happy to say that I accomplished both of my goals, and as of right now I have no more desire to run anymore races.

...Then of course, that is what I said last year too. I guess we'll see what happens next summer.

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Way to go...you look great out there!! Boy, I know now what kind of rains you guys get over there, so I can truly appreciate what you mean by a "torrential downpour". Good for you to accomplish your goals...and I love the pictures. :)

Katie Lewis said...

Way to go! I'm glad you did it. :) I've been wanting to do another one too. Perhaps next year though. :)

mkmk86 said...

Good job! I'm glad you did it too. Maybe one day I will have the desire to do a race... ;) see it goes to prove- you can't judge a book by its cover- you said that everyone else out there looked like they were on a track team or something- and you beat at least one of them! It isn't all about looks!
I hope that came out sounding alright... ;)

Beth said...

Go Sarah!! Good for you running a race.

Becky said...

I agree with preferring rain to the sun for running! Well done you :)