Thursday, May 26, 2011

Making the decision

It was raining all day long yesterday. We went to the library to play, along with everyone else in our small little town. Elsie had a lot of playmates and had a wonderful morning playing and running and reading.

We still had to make a quick stop (is there such a thing as a quick stop with two kids in tow?) at the store before heading home for nap time. We headed down the first aisle and Elsie was already being a pill. Being her little independent two year old self, she didn't want to sit in the cart or help me push it. As I'm quickly scanning the shelf for what I need and comparing prices, she is already at the other end sneaking off. I stood there looking at her and I had to decide...

Am I going to be the crabby mom and constantly yell/threaten/1-2-3 her through the whole store before I finally pick her up kicking and screaming and strap her into the cart seat, or am I going to make that extra effort to be the fun mom and make games out of everything and have this be a positive shopping experience?

After a minute of contemplation, I decided to be the fun mom. We raced down the aisles together. Elsie picked up the merchandise from the shelves and put them in the cart. We looked for the things we needed and then shouted "Milk Ahoy!" or "Notebooks Ahoy!" when we found them. Elsie painstakingly placed everything on the checkout conveyor belt for me. And you know what? Elsie loved it. She had so much fun at the store. On the way home Elsie said "Elsie go home read a book and go to sleep". I was more than happy to grant her that.

I was surprised (and slightly ashamed) at how long it took to make the decision to be the cool mom. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to be the crabby mom and just get everything done as quickly as possible, but it is way more draining and exhausting fighting every step of the way. With just a little more effort and creative thinking, we made it out of the store with smiles on our faces.

I did have to put on a little thicker skin. I got a lot of strange looks as I was sprinting down the aisles with a two year old while pushing a baby in the cart. There were certainly some grumbles as I let Elsie put every single item onto the check out stand. I just looked at them and smiled as I handed the next thing to Elsie. Sure, there is such thing as common courtesy, but there is also something to be said for letting a two year old help and explore her world.

I want to try and be the fun mom more often.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Good for you. Alice will want to help, too, as soon as she is able. Fun times ahead!!

Becky said...

I am so so glad I get to grocery shop by myself now that they are both in school :)

But I know your decision: Lucy and I spent TWO HOURS in the craft store Sunday. She picked up and contemplated every single thing in the store and asked me to add it to her list*. After she was satisfied I had seen her choice and put it on the list, she would move to the next item. (I got so bored, I'll admit. But she's STILL talking about that outing.)

*THE LIST: my trick for not having to say "no" all the time. Both kids LOVE it. It's a running list in my head of all the things they want to have or do, ever. They know I'm taking them and their wishes seriously. Great family discussions occur when we talk happily at length about the items on our list :)