Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Small Town Life

Though I've never considered myself a city girl by any means, I never thought I would end up in a small town like we are now. A drive by the welcome sign says that it has a population of just over 10,000, but it is growing quite a bit. We are just a suburb of a larger city, so we are only a short drive away from all the major store and shopping centers and everything else we could want.

I'm surprised at how much I really like it here. There is one grocery store in town; a little locally owned shop. It is an "& Sons" type of store, so I'm not sure how long it has been around. When I only have a few things to pick up (and the weather is nice) I like to pack the girls into the bike trailer and ride down to the store.

I don't know how it is at different times of the day, but when the girls and I go first thing in the morning it is pretty empty. Again, maybe it's a timing thing, but all of the workers are sweet old grandparent type people. They love my girls and fawn all over them, ask what I need and then take me right to it, have a treat for Elsie from the bakery, and carry my groceries out and load them into the bike trailer for me.

Main street isn't very long, but it has a few treasures that I'm looking forward to exploring. There is a little thrift store, a few coffee and pastry shops, family owned restaurants, and several more little stores that sell a variety of things. I think I could get used to living here for a while.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Mmmm, you'll have to report on how the eateries are.

Dorothy said...

I am looking forward to experiencing your little town for a few days later this summer! It makes me happy to know that you are comfortable and well received there. :)