Saturday, March 19, 2011

Gallbladder diet

If I could have chosen the doctor to perform my surgery, I wouldn't have chosen the one they assigned my case to in the ER. Well, I take that back. I'm sure he performed the surgery wonderfully. But he wasn't the greatest at patient/doctor relationships. Before the surgery I was too nervous and freaked out to say a whole lot, and afterwards I was too drugged up to ask the questions I needed to ask. He talked fast and kind of mumbled and told me everything was in my discharge papers. I asked about what I should eat and all he said was "No fat".

Most of my information had to come from my own research. Despite what he said, my discharge papers didn't include a whole lot. From what I've found out, everybody reacts differently. Some have found they don't have to make any changes, while others have foods that send them to the porcelain throne. But most sources say I need a week or two, maybe up to a month, with little to no fat in my diet to give my liver time to learn how to process food without the gallbladder. After that, it's just up to my body with what it can handle.

I know I'm driving Alan crazy with trying to find things to eat. I can feel myself obsessing with what has fat, and what kind of fat, and how much fat, and then not eating anything for fear of it having fat. I'm so scared of eating the wrong thing and then having my body reject it in a rather violent way.

I know I'm stressing out about this way too much. I need to just relax and listen to my body. There will have to be some trial and error, and some of it might end badly, and I need to accept that. I can play it safe for a few weeks, and then I need to slowly introduce a few things at a time and see how I handle it. I just need to get over myself.

Besides, I find it hard to believe that I can last too terribly long without trying chocolate...

Anyone have any ideas of what I can eat?

2 comments:

mkmk86 said...

irrgh! so, I totally just left you a nice long comment and then it told me that they were unable to process my request and it all disappeared... :( Anyway, in short, what I said was that when I had my gallbladder out, I found it the best to stay away from fried foods and fatty meats. I don't remember having a problem with milk, but you should probably stay away from a lot of dairy- like cheese and ice cream or what not. I just slowly reintroduced foods and I eat normal now. Nothing really different in my diet. I did have a few times when I had to visit the bathroom NOW, but it was weird bc I had eaten food that I had eaten before (but after the surgery) and was just fine. So, I could never trigger what food was my problem. Anyway, If you have any more questions, feel free to call, text or email. I hope you continue to feel better!

mkmk86 said...

oh and I was going to tell you that if you have gas from the surgery, or what not, Gas-x helps a lot- even the generic brand from Wall Mart.