Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Going home

I had more labs drawn this morning and both surgery teams stopped by to talk to me. My blood work looks good, my counts are up, bilirubin is down, and liver functions are looking good. The surgeons agreed that as long as I don't throw up breakfast or lunch I should be ok to leave this afternoon.

I'm ready to get back to my husband and my kids. I'm really glad my parents will be there to take care of them and do all the heavy lifting, but I want to be around them. It's very comforting to know that I can go home and my only responsibilities are to rest and feed Alice.

I've been pumping and pumping and pumping, but I know my milk supply has decreased. A big part of it is probably due to the fact that they starved me for two days. I wasn't allowed anything, not even water, until after the second procedure was finished yesterday. All they gave me was a few little swabs that I could dip into water to wet my mouth a little. After they got the remaining stones out I was allowed clear liquids, and this morning they let me have a little bit of yogurt. I just need to get back to Alice and let her nurse as much as she wants so I can build my supply back up. I feel bad knowing she has had to have some formula the past few days, but I also know that she has been fed with the same love and attention that I would have given her had I been able to nurse her.

I'm ready for this ordeal to be over with.

No comments: