Friday, April 1, 2011

Big Girl Bed

Elsie has moved out of her pack 'n play and into a toddler bed. At least, she slept in it last night and is sleeping in it right now. We moved things around in her room and had a big talk about what it means to sleep in a big girl bed and what the rules are. The rules are really quite simple. Stay in bed and don't bug Alice. So far she's been really good at bed time... but nap time today was horrific. She wanted to sleep in the big girl bed, but if we put her in it within 2 minutes she was coming out of her room. We gave her a few chances then tried putting her back in the pack 'n play, which resulted in a 2 hour scream/whine fest with no nap...

Any ideas? She does ok without a nap and could possibly give them up, but I don't know if I'm ready for her to not take one. I really enjoy my little hour and a half siesta in the middle of the day. It tends to keep me at least a little sane...

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

Well, now she knows the consequences of getting out of bed (the crib!). Don't give up yet. Just keep talking with her about her choices and I think it will sink in. Consistency usually wins, but it's not always a pretty battle. A couple weeks from now either she will be napping in her new bed, or you will have decided that what she really needs is a "quiet" period in her room each day.

Dorothy said...

Oh, and don't forget the power of an attractive "incentive". (Bribe)

mkmk86 said...

I agree with your mom... Sorry I don't have more advise though... When Josh and I were little, my mom really needed a nap and Josh refused to take a nap (and I guess he didn't really need them- just my mom), but since Josh wasn't sleeping, I didn't need to either. SO what my mom would do was lock us in the room with her while she slept... It worked for her... haha Good luck figuring it out! I'm sure your a wonderful Mommy!

Becky said...

We still institute an afternoon "quiet time" on the weekends. They both have to stay in their rooms for an hour, but they get to look at books, play with quiet toys, or sleep. 99% of the time they put themselves to sleep. Knowing they have a few choices and a little control of the situation tends to take the fight away.